Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

IMPORTANT ARTIFACTS

One of the most exciting parts of my day at the bookshop I work at is pouncing on a fresh delivery from our American book supplier. And while the box may be filled mostly with customer orders pertaining to urine therapy or which particular race of alien begat the universe, it also contains the books that I order in because I think they're cool, and I think no other bookstore will have.

One of these arrived today, Leanne Shapton's Important Artifacts and Personal Property from the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion, and Jewelry. What the book is, essentially, is a fictional auction catalogue of one couple's possessions and artifacts, which charts, through inanimate objects, the dissolution of the couple's relationship, from loving start to bitter end. It truly is an original, and well worth checking out.



You can read more about it here, watch a short video with Leanne Shapton here, and you can buy the book, of course, here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a novel. And the sort of book I would never have known about no doubt, had you not revealed it to us!